Back in Business


It's been nearly twenty-nine years since the late summer 1995 release of Everway, Jonathan Tweet's diceless fantasy roleplaying game, by Wizards of the Coast. At the time, I was a graduate student at the University of Pennsylvania. But a chance meeting with Tweet at the July 1995 Origins Game Fair in downtown Philadelphia sold me on the game, and I created the Everweb fan page a few months later.  The site maintained a curated list of Everway fan pages from around the web, and it also featured "reprints" of some of the most interesting content from the Everway-L listserv. I kept the Everweb running for a decade and a half, outlasting the first edition of Everway (which had moved from Wizards to Rubicon Games and then to Gaslight Press before ceasing publication sometime around 2002). In the end, the site went down as a result of a bureaucratic decision to shut down the the University of Illinois faculty server I was using to host the page. Due to my personal and professional obligations, I never found the time to move the Everweb to a different host.

The Everway Company's successful 2021 relaunch of Everway in a Silver Anniversary Edition has revived interest in the game. I've played in a pair of fun online Everway campaigns since then (first as Beekeeper, a priest in the service of the Gods of the Ankh, and then as Kura, a maker of enchanted toys), and I want to try my own hand at finally running an Everway campaign. I'm therefore revising the Everweb in the form of this Everweb 2.0 blog. I'm going to start with some posts in which I generate an Everway Realm with the assistance of Peter Chiykowski's Deck of Worlds resource, and we'll see where things go from there.

One note about images: the header image for this blog is a modified version of Hans Christiansen's 1898 depiction of "The Four Elements." It's a lovely print, and its Art Nouveau look is a perfect fit for Everway. The image at the beginning of this post was the second Everweb logo, created by my friend Bruce Baugh.


 

Comments

Popular Posts