Digital Vision Cards: Omar Rayyan

This is the second post in a series on artists whose fantasy-themed works make them appropriate inspiration for Everway campaigns. The first post in the series (located on my old blog, Vargold: The Wolf-Time) was dedicated to Vladimir Kush. This second post focuses on one of my favorite artists: Omar Rayyan. I've followed Rayyan's work for many years now: I met him in the early 2010s at Gen Con and bought prints of his Cemetery Puca and Tar Pitcher cards for Magic: The Gathering. I also have a print of "Bottom's Dream" from his series of paintings on Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream. All three are framed and hang in my office at work. Finally, I have a copy of the Folio Society edition of Terry Pratchett's Small Gods that Rayyan illustrated. In short, I really like Rayyan's work, partially for its fae whimsy but also for the elements in it that remind me of Edmund Dulac and Arthur Rackham.

The painting at the top of this post is entitled "The Shepherdess" and could work for any hero who wanted a friendly dragon in their backstory. The following two images, "The Long Walk Home" and "The Samurai Poet" respectively, could be used for Cat Folk and Dog People heroes:



Finally, some of Rayyan's landscapes could serve as heroes' home realms. Here's "Snow-Covered Forest":

And here's "Gaea's Cradle":

Comments

Popular Posts